Parliament approves appointment of five ambassadors
The parliament, on Wednesday, approved five ambassador nominations made by President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
The envoys were approved unanimously by the 70 parliamentarians present at the sitting.
The five nominations were greenlighted by the parliamentary Committee on National Security and Foreign Relations prior to the vote:
- Permanent Representative of Maldives to the United Nations (UN) Office in Geneva Dr Ahmed Asim
- Ambassador to Bangladesh Shiruzimath Sameer
- Ambassador to Pakistan Farzana Zahir
- Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates Aminath Shabeena
- Ambassador to India Dr Hussain Niyaz
Additionally, the parliament designated Dr Asim as the non-resident Ambassador to Switzerland while Dr Niyaz was also appointed as the non-resident Ambassador to Nepal, Bhutan and Afghanistan.
Speaking during Wednesday's session, Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed stated that Maldives' diplomatic appointments were considerably gender-balanced following the approval of the five ambassadorial candidates. Referring to the above, the former president described the day as 'historic'.