PGO presses additional charges over IS-claimed arson

PGO presses additional charges over IS-claimed arson

The Prosecutor General's Office pressed additional charges against Moosa Inas over the deliberate burning of a police speedboat docked at the harbour of Gan, Laamu Atoll on March 22.

International terrorist organisation Islamic State (IS) implied its responsibility for the arson attack during April, in addition to confirming its role in the blaze set in Mahibadhoo, Alif Dhaalu Atoll on April 15 which resulted in damages to four speedboats, a sea ambulance and two dinghies.

According to the PG Office, Inas was charged with carrying out an act of terrorism. If these charges are proven, Inas faces between 20 to 25 years in prison as per the Anti-Terrorism Act.

Earlier, on July 30, after a police raid at his residence led to the discovery of documents and videos supporting Al Qaeda and ISIS on Inas's laptop, the PG office charged him with the possession of documents, photographs or illustrations indicating support for a terrorist organisation.

An additional individual, Abdul Latheef Ibrahim, was charged along with Inas after police discovered documents supporting Al Qaeda and Jabhat al-Nusra on the suspect's hard drive.

These charges carry a prison sentence of between one to three years.

Both Inas and Abdul Latheef were implicated in the 2007 bombing near Sultan Park in the capital city of Male' which injured 12 tourists.

Although Inas was initially sentenced to 15 years of imprisonment over the bombing, he was pardoned for his crimes and released from prison.

Abdul Latheef went into hiding after the bombing and was apprehended upon his return from Pakistan in August 2012. At the time of his arrest, Interpol had issued a 'Red Notice' for his detainment.

Furthermore, Laamu Atoll's Magistrate Court had sentenced Abdul Latheef to one year and 12 days of imprisonment on July 7 for the obstruction of justice in the investigation launched over the arson attack on the police speedboat.